The independent member for Denison has expressed his concerns over Australia becoming a police state in the parliament today.
Other [relevant] characteristic of the police is the fact that in law in this country now you can be arrested on suspicion in the absence of any hard evidence when it comes to terrorism.
Watch the full speech here:
Member for Denison cited following 10 attributes which he believes, determine a pre police state:
- Surveillance of all electronic devices including phone calls SMS Email, SM and metadata will be stored & accessed without warrant from October.
- Media manipulation ABC and SBS cuts, bullying techniques used by ministers against media.
- Manipulation of judiciary,Royal Commissioner agrees to go to party political event.
- Ludicrous level of secrecy especially in regard to irregular immigration or asylum seekers and on water operations.
- Arrests on suspicion of thinking you may do something in the future.
- People in this country can be incarcerated indefinitely without trial
- Disregard to international agreements and international laws that Australian Governments including ignoring their own statutes have signed off on.eg. The Rights of the Child and The Refugee Convention.
- Parliament are forbidden to debate upon important decisions such as the government secretly deciding to declare war on Syria. No debate, no vote by our representatives.
- Government safeguard mechanisms bullied and disregarded if they get in the governments way eg. the mistreatment on the human rights commissioner recently.
- Security agencies acting beyond their legal power Border Patrol going beyond legal powers. no-one lost their jobs, no-one was held to account.